Saturday, December 05, 2009

From The Zoo To The Snow



It doesn't seem that just last week we were all wearing shorts and feeling warm in Florida when today we were playing in the snow here in Virginia!

Last week we saw the rhinoceros up close and the tigers playing and fed a giraffe - no photos of this because our battery died - I will have to get Grandpa's pictures and share them later.







Watching the orangutans:



All the animals were so active - just out and about - playing and "talking" - so noisy! As I watched the apes swing all over their enclosure and listened to them "talk" I thought "I wonder if they are laughing at us - trying to tell us humans that it's gonna rain."



And did it rain? Of course it did! Every single time we've brought the girls to the Lowry Park Zoo it has poured. I don't know what it is but once again we were running through the rain. We still had a great time since the overcast sky seemed to bring out all the animals. :)

But today, instead of running through the rain in our shorts we were bundled up in heavy jackets, snow boots and snow pants as our yard turned white.

Alyssa's waiting patiently for her socks and boots:



It takes so long to find all the gear and suit everyone up that by the time I got out there to take pictures the girls were ready to come in. That and none of them had gloves on any more. Well, no wonder they were so cold!



Only Rachel didn't seem to mind the cold.



Now the big kids are a different story from the babies - they lasted a lot longer outside and found some things to do - like build a snowman. And what snowman is complete without a baby snowman?







From sun to snow in under a week. Gotta love it! And I have to say I loved the snow. I didn't realize we were even due to get any so it was a fun surprise to wake up to this morning. I think we got maybe 4 or 5 inches but for us it was enough to enjoy on a Saturday!

4 comments:

Donna B said...

We only had slush up here in Maryland. I can't wait for us to get a "decent" snowfall so everyone can go play.

Carly said...

The baby snowman is so cute. Looks like a fun time in the snow!

Angie said...

I am looking forward to our first snow... I think the kids will really have fun in it this year. We have the same problem with the "gwubs". :)

Kristy said...

Awww, I love the baby snowman! We should get together when we have a BIG snow and all go sledding somewhere!