Friday, October 13, 2006

31 Weeks

I have made it another week. Praise God! It's been a long week to say the least but I'm glad that the babies are still in me - most of the time :)

I got a chance to meet with a neonatologist today which is was informative. At this point a babies chance of survival (between weeks 30 and 36) is 90%. That's really good for the babies for sure! We also discussed the babies going home and it seems that no matter when they are born they will be in the hospital/NICU until 36 or 37 weeks gestation which is just about Thanksgiving. It's exciting to know that the babies will be home for the holidays.

Whenever I do deliver there will be a team of doctors to care for each baby. I can't imagine how many people will be in the delivery room! At least 5 or 6 people for each baby plus the doctors for me. It will be crowded.

Essentially if the babies are born now they should do very well but if we can go another week or two they will have a much better time suckling which would make it easier to feed them obviously. They will probably not be kept together in the NICU so they don't get anyone mixed up and we would be able to hold them when we go to see them. All good things.

I was talking to one of the nurses last night and she said that the average delivery of triplets here in the hospital is about 34 weeks give or take a few days. That would be 11/3 for me. Sounds a bit close except that by that time I will have been in the hospital for a full month and that thought scares me to death!! So, pray they come a bit earlier than that :)

No comments: