Monday, February 16, 2009

I Need A Mommy Mental Health Day

I am border-line sick. You know that place between I feel great and I feel like I'm going to die and can't leave the bed? Yea, I'm there.

It's just a head cold and a sore throat but it's wiping me out. And, mommy's don't get sick days. Not that I don't have a wonderful husband who wouldn't allow me to stay in bed if I were deathly ill but I'm not. And that leads to mommy guilt.

I'm not sick enough to dump the work load on Kirk but I don't feel well enough to mentally deal with the kids. The constant screaming because someone stole a toy or someone else hit their head or stubbed their toe - it's draining.

And the physical work of being jumped on, clung to, pulled on, sat one, pinched and shoved. I just cannot imagine having twice this at once let alone twice this plus twins plus 6 other kids. That new octuplet mom thinks she has it bad now - she ain't seen nothing yet! Regularly someone is asking me to pick them up - usually Rachel - so that I will read her the book she wants or draw her the picture she wants.

It's exhausting and today I just don't have the patience or voice to deal with it!

I hate complaining - I do but I feel like sometimes I have to write it down so that someday I can look back and remember the hard times too. And so I have proof that when I'm asked if it really is harder to have 3 kids at once and I smile and sigh and say, "yes, yes it is" and walk away knowing at least someone else has heard my pain!!

On a different note I'm not sure if I shot myself in the foot with this or not but the girl's got Play-Doh for Valentine's Day (yes, the store bought kind because I'm sorry I'm just not that crafty mom who makes their own). They LOVE it. Had a great time just sitting around playing with it. Takes up a good hour of our day.









Yes, I know they need haircuts - it's on my to-do list along with a few hundred other things!!

2 Corinthians 12:9-10: "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

I know things could be a lot worse then my struggles but today they seem hard so your prayers are appreciated :)

9 comments:

MaryBeth said...

sometimes you've just got to blog it to get it out... i feel your pain. we've moved straight from family wide stomach virus to horrible head colds. i am so looking forward to spring time!! perhaps we're just getting it all out before scott comes home in less than two weeks.... please let it be over by then. prayers for you and your crew that this sickness will be short lived!

Andrea said...

I just got the kids in bed after dealing with..ahem...the results of a stomach bug that attacked them tonight. I read your post and it was just perfect. Thanks for the verse to help me keep my chin up! On to do the laundry...

Donna B said...

Prayers! And you know you need to let go of the mommy guilt. Let the DH take over for a couple of hours and rest. It will do you a world of good.

Nicole O'Dell said...

Oh, Hon, I am RIGHT there with you...cold, sore throat, pinkeye...UGH! I commend you for sticking with it and even getting out the playdoh--store-bought or not!

I hope you feel much better tomorrow!

Cherie said...

Hold on girl!

I don't know why it just seems like it's getting harder by the minute these days.

I've been sick for days too and I'm completely wiped out. What I wouldn't give for a day in bed. . .

Love,
c

Threeundertwo said...

Believe me, I understand you *completely.* I had three under two years old and I don't know how I survived some days when they were very small. You have every right to feel frustrated and exhausted mentally and physically sometimes.

Great choice of Bible verse. Sometimes I tell myself 'God doesn't give us any more than we can handle - but he doesn't give us any less either.' You've been blessed, but there is a burden that comes with it. Take comfort in the sisterhood of mommy bloggers who understand and support you. I'm praying for you today.

Denise said...

OH, I do hope you are feeling better. I hate those days. I pray that today is a better day for you.
I don't know about you but it seems everything is harder these days.

Angie said...

I hope you are having a great day today! Sorry Monday was so long. Praying for you...

On a side note we think store bought play-doh rocks!

Karen @dixielandcrafts said...

I hear ya sister! I so know where you are and thanking God that my sickness is finally over. Though the only difference is when I'm sick, the load falls on Naomi because Les is at work. Which still leads to mommy guilt because she needs to be doing school work not mommy work. Thanks for sharing and I'll be praying for you.

btw, I haven't been brave enough to buy playdough but you reminded me that if I make the homemade kind, if the boys eat it. I won't freak completely out. LOL Now I'm off to find the recipe. :-)