Monday, January 12, 2009

Firestation Tour

A.K.A. I finally got out of the house with just the girls and we had a lot of fun!

A little less then 2 years ago Kirk, myself and all 5 kids were out at Target. The girls were quite small then and became a huge spectacle - who can blame them my girls were (are) so cute?! Anyway, I ran into another shopper who asked if I belonged to a moms of multiples club. I said I did not. At the time I had a reason - I was quite afraid that a multiples club, generally usually a twins club would be moms of twins sitting around complaining that moms with just one baby "don't get it".

This bothered me for 2 reasons:

1. I have 2 singletons and they are hard on their own as any one with any child already knows

and

2. I had triplets which meant I could "one-up" the twin moms but I don't think of it like that. There's really only so far you can go up with that. My friend Misty has quads but guess what? She still talks to me! Imagine that :) My point is that everyone's situation is unique and difficult in it's own way. While it is important for moms of multiples to bond (I believe this is very important) we can't discount everyone else just because they only have one or only have two, etc.

So, to be honest I hadn't wanted to join because I didn't want to spend an hour or so complaining. To be fair I had seen a newspaper article that basically indicated this is all the moms did!!

Back to the mom I met at Target. This mom (Mandi of the Brownie Bunch though she doesn't update her blog anymore) invited me to the moms of multiples meeting and informed me that she had 5 kids as well - 2 older ones very close together, a set of twins and then a surprise baby just one year after the twins so "irish triplets" I guess. She also let me know the club did have some sets of triplets.

Turns out I had little to be worried about. I nervously showed up to the first meeting and got asked multiple times (ha!) if I had twins. Nope, I said, I have 5 month old triplet girls plus two more. It's been fun to say at introductions ever since. And while we do talk about how much harder it is to have multiples then singletons and I have had to laugh at the frustration with twin strollers - trust me it is MUCH harder to come across a good triplet stroller and I know Misty is laughing at me since she had to have a quad stroller - I have generally had a great time getting to know all the moms of multiples in my area.

That being said - and wow, I didn't expect that to go so long but I am a writer so what are you doing to do? Today some of the club got together and took a tour of the local fire station. The girls had a blast!! In fact, they would all 3 still be sitting up in the firetruck if I hadn't made them get out. Except maybe Rachel who did NOT like the dirt on her hands from the stairs to climb up (but that child hates dirt on her hands at anytime anyway).

Here are some of the pics I took:



Julianna was totally interested in everything the firefighters were telling us:



They pointed up to a hose and Julianna looked up - she was really enthralled with the trucks and the firefighters:



A firefighter with all his gear - none of the girls would get near him. Bummer - it would have made a cool picture. Alyssa ventured towards him once but ran away so fast I only got a blur (I'm using my old camera and it just isn't as good).




Julianna did NOT want to move through the firetruck. When I asked her later if she liked the firetruck she told me she liked the seat. Can you tell?



This is her "don't you make me get out of this seat" look:



Rachel wasn't as thrilled about being up in the truck but a few times she tried it out then quickly turned to ask the firefighter to take her back out!



Once Alyssa got in she didn't want out! Every time the girls came through the truck they wanted to run around to the other side and get in again...



Only the firehats could deter them from their beloved firetruck :)



I think they had a great time despite their lack of understanding what a fireman or firetruck is. I'm glad we went and I'm glad we're a part of a multiples group so the girls can get out and have some fun. I did get a group shot of everyone but it was very dark and hard to see - if I get a better one I'll post it later. As for my girls I could only get one of them to stand next to the firetruck for a photo - the others were either clinging to me or running away. Aah the joys of having triplets...

6 comments:

Donna B said...

You have to admit seeing a firefighter in full gear would be very scary for the little ones. (My crew is used to it, DH is a career firefighter so they see it all the time.

I am glad they had a great time.

Candace Hickey said...

First of all....I LOVE the boots the girls are wearing! he he he...
Okay, the girls looked like they had a good time...especially Julianna. I love her look when you were trying to get her out of the truck.
We went to a 3 year old's birthday back in Sept. at our local fire department. My 3 could care less, but I bet it would be different now.

Cherie said...

What a fun field trip!

Isn't Misty awesome?

:)

Anonymous said...

don't know how i've managed to miss your blog until now, but i'm glad i found it today! i'm a mom of triplets myself and am editor of Multiple Bliss on www.blissfullydomestic.com. i'm looking for other moms of multiples who are willing to contribute short articles for the web magazine. i love your "voice" and think you'd be fabulous. it would also bring you more blog traffic (great for ad revenue). email me if you think you're interested. i can give you more details.

Denise said...

Cute pictures. I do hope you find your charger soon. It looks like it was a good time for everyone.
BTW....you have been tagged.

Stephanie said...

Okay, you made me laugh at why you didn't want to join your multiples group.....I am a twin AND Triplet mom myself and didn't join mine because I didn't want to sit around complaining, this is back when I just had the twins :) Anyway, you have a beautiful family and I am glad you all got out and about!