Monday, January 26, 2009

Isolation

I know this blog is really for the kids - pictures of them, videos about them - all in an effort to help me remember what life was like when they were little and to share with friends and family who find our family interesting. But today I thought I use my blog to share a little about how I'm feeling with 2-year-old triplets!

When the girls were first born they were so tiny. Okay, bigger then "normal" triplets but still quite small. How is that I felt less trapped at home when they weighed all of 5 pounds? Possibly due to the help I had. My mom was here for two months so I always had someone to talk to. The girls transported easily in their great Triple Decker Stroller. Loved that thing. They slept wherever we went. It was easy.

There was nothing easy about the rest of their first year. They were mobile but not enough to make them happy. In order to survive we took the girls out often - to wander Target, grocery shopping, whatever it took - we left the house.

But now no one wants to stay in their stroller, everyone wants to walk and I can only chase so much. So mostly I sit at home. I'm sure some is the cold but I really feel that things are so much harder now then they were. Three temper tantruming two-year-olds.

Conversations I hear during the day:

Julianna: my mommy
Rachel: no my mommy
Julianna: no my mommy
Alyssa: Can't talk but she grunts her intentions pretty well

This usually ends in one or more girls throwing themselves on me or the floor crying - always fun.

Julianna: where are you mommy? where are you?
Mommy: reply with wherever I am
Julianna: where are you mommy?

You get the idea...

The girls aren't really talking yet to each other - Julianna can talk plenty, Rachel is often to quiet to hear and Alyssa still isn't saying much but whenever I hear them giggling or just being quiet I know it means trouble. Usually it means my bathroom is being torn apart - they love my stuff in there - Q-tips, band-aids, toothbrushes and toothpaste - oh they love it. And then mommy's in there cleaning it up.

I know this too shall pass but truly who thought 3 two-year olds were a good idea??!! I know everyone says God only gives us what we can handle and I believe that, I'm just not sure I believe it about myself...

7 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Yeah, I know what you mean... sometimes I just wish He didn't trust me quite so much!

I'm finally coming out of my strep throat induced haze here and wanted to say congrats on the Multiple Bliss contributor thing! Wow!! That is pretty cool. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Cherie said...

Oh Dorinda!

I'm so glad you posted this. I was just saying the other day that this feels just as difficult as when they were newborns. Mine aren't even sleeping through the night now!

We will survive this though; I'm sure of it.

Denise said...

Dorinda, you are not alone. I agree that this seems to be more difficult than when they were younger. Going out isn't as easy and now there are temper tantrums and fights to deal with. Hopefully your girls are still sleeping through the night because Lord knows, none of mine do anymore.

Kelli said...

Dorinda, I am sure you posting this about how isolating and hard having 2 year old triplets is will help so many other triplet moms, probably more than you realize.....because sometimes just reading that someone else is struggling is comforting, because you know that someone else understands. does that make sense? It is harder for me right now than it was when my boys were younger. It is less scary in that I am not so much worried anymore about their weight, or reflux, stuff like that.....but it is exhausting and difficult to not be able to go out and be out of the house. My boys don't want to be in a stroller anymore either......and I definitely wish I could do more everyday things with my boys.....but we will definitely get through this....and I bet we even miss this age!!!

Big hugs to you!!!
Kelli

Tripletblessed said...

Hugs Dorinda. I promise this will get better and soon. The hard part is in order for it to get better you are going to have to go out with them often even on short trips in order to teach them what is and is not acceptable. This is no easy feat!
Just like the baby stage and all the crap you have to learn once you get a system it becomes more habit and easier to do.
We haven't used our triplet stroller since last May so the my trio was 2 1/2. I still take the single stroller to things like the zoo but mostly to carry all our junk and the occasional "I'm tired".
It was a hard stage and good for you for opening up about it!

Jeannie said...

i believe God gives us a little more than we can handle so we lean on Him more....for some odd reason that comforts me bc I know He will take care of me. :)

hang in there--I feel the same even though my boys arent 2 yet (3 months to go!)

Christine said...

I stumbled upon your blog from Blissfully Domestic and even though I do not have twins or triplets, I understand. My last two are 11 months and three weeks apart and I have not forgotten the isolation or the frustration that comes with not being able to chase 2 kids going in different directions. :) The good thing is that this too shall pass, but it is a bit of a test. LOL!! I wish I had been more internet savvy when I had my last two, as it would have definitely helped to see other moms who felt the same way. I felt alone, overwhelmed and a little guilty for seeming ungrateful for my blessings. I think if I had realized there was a virtual support system, I would have been better able to deal. It's why I blog now-maybe one thing I might be going through/talk about will help someone else. Glad I found your blogs and am looking forward to reading your future posts. You have been a given a powerful gift-the ability to write and touch other people. Hang in there. Remember, mommies rule, kids drool. :)